Dallas, incorporated in 1863, is the oldest incorporated town in Gaston County. Dallas was named for George Mifflin Dallas, who was the U.S. Vice President in 1846 when Dallas was established. Designated originally as the County Seat, it remained so for 64 years until 1911. The Old Courthouse, renovated in 1868 after a fire, still stands in the main square of the town and serves as City Hall. The spacious, well-kept older homes together with neat, modern, new homes mark Dallas as principally a residential town rather than an industrial one.